Morninghater

Out of the granite and into the green

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Big Jilm at the Bulb


So this is "Big Jilm" at the Albany bulb. I go to the bulb often. I could write volumes about this place because it is so special to me. I started going down there on a regular basis about 2 years ago. The place is filled with mystery, and best exemplified and portrayed in the 2003 documentary Bums' Paradise. I suggest viewing it if you can find it. The bulb is named as such because it juts out into the bay and forms a light bulb sort of shape. The bulb is essentially a peninsula, but calling it the bulb is much better. The bulb is filled with junk, tons of thousands of pounds of junk; twisted and rusted rebar extent out of broken concrete chunks, and some just shoot straight out of the ground like ancient tentacles reaching for the sky. Natural vegetation has grown over most of the debris and has created this sort of urban garden. The place smells of fennel and dust. People like to walk their dogs at the bulb, and they claim it is one of the last places in California where you can walk your dog without a leash -- "Save off leash access" is what the fanatical dog walkers always proclaim. If I had a dog I'd walk it down there too, I guess. Anyway, the bulb is great and beautiful, and someday it won't be there anymore when the powers-that-be decide to finally renovate it and make it into a safe "park". I dread that day. For now I will enjoy the bulb as much as I can and add my two cents by taking some of my OCD art down there. There are very few places like the bulb anymore. Go down there and give it respect. And if you run into a man called Rabbit, ask him about Bums' Paradise and he'll give you the low-down. Posted by Hello

2 Comments:

  • At 11:24 AM , Blogger Lefty said...

    The Bulb is very special to me, too. I will perhaps be spending more time there in the near future, killing unemployed hours with rusty Bulb magic. It's a very East Bay kind of place; it exemplifies everything I like about the East Bay, but it also exemplifies a lot about what's ugly in our society, in our country and our state. It's a very important place, toxic but beautiful. I want the dogs to run free, but personally if I had a dog I'd be afraid of them getting poisoned or injured there.

     
  • At 3:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Big Jilm.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home