Morninghater

Out of the granite and into the green

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

SS NEPENTHES


Hi there, and welcome to yet another OCD piece. I forget the name of this piece, but will remember at some point in the ancient future. I might end up calling it the "SS NEPENTHES"

The other day I went sailing with my friend the Mauller. Todd, Selvi and their friend Chris were onboard as well. The last time I went sailing with the Mauller was in November and it was cold as fuck out in the ochre colored waters of the bay. We sailed way out past the Golden Gate bridge and almost sailed to the Farallon Islands. Kind of scary, considering that the Mauller's vessel is a bit old and not very well taken care of. He has one decaying flotation device on board, the sails are all ripped up, the small engine sometimes works, and the boat leaks a little bit every now and then. The Mauller performs "voyage repairs" only when in the midst of a voyage. When the boat is docked and when repairs should be made, the Mauller does not do it. He just takes the thing out every 3 months or so and discovers that something doesn't work right. He laughs a little bit and says, "I think we'll be alright." So much of the fun of sailing with the Mauller on his rickety craft is the uncertainty of what will happen. We made it back alive the other day and I didn't even get sunburned. Good. I hate being sunburned. Posted by Hello

2 Comments:

  • At 2:11 PM , Blogger Lefty said...

    I'll let you sail with Mauler if you let my fly with my Dad. Never one more word about it!

     
  • At 3:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Sunburned Hand of the Man

    (Vermont-based freaky-heavy drug band of the non-jam variety.)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home