Morninghater

Out of the granite and into the green

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

The Return of Yoniferous leviathan


The above is "The Floyd Cam", alternate artwork for their Meddle album.
I had a nice conversation last night with my friend Yoni (aka Yoniferous L.) who lives in Chicago. He is a cook, and works late into the night. He used to live with me for a short time by sub-letting the room from another good friend of mine, Ton Loc (aka Lubener). During this time, we both developed a habit of hiding around the apartment a Michael Myers Halloween mask, a strange artifice that I had acquired several years back (I wore it at a party one time and it pissed some people off, funny). At any rate, we wouldn't see each other a whole lot throughout the weeks -- I had a normal 9 to 5 job and Yoni worked from about 3 pm to 1 am -- so to make up for these missing spaces, we would leave little things for each other to find when we came home. It was kind of like an absurdist play being shown over and over again. So with this big, white mask one of us would typically hide it someplace in the apartment in hopes to either frighten or amuse/bemuse the other. I put it in Yoni's closet one night and it kind of rolled out onto his chest when he opened the door, that scared him a bit. Another time, Yoni hung it from the ceiling by the front door and when I came home late one night the apartment was pitch black, and I felt this lumpy thing bounce off my face as I entered, I could barely make out the white starkness of Michael Myers -- just about scared the shit out of me. So those were fun days, absurd days, the Dadaists would be proud. Visit Yoni's website at www.drawingsbylight.com here he puts up his offerings and allows you to look into it for a while, sans Michael Myers mask.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:25 AM , Blogger Joe said...

    I keep on keeping on in the presence of nothing, in the harsh light of boring days spent drooling at a dusty desk. Nobody wants to read me -- go ahead and read yr fucking Sedaris book.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home