Morninghater

Out of the granite and into the green

Friday, April 29, 2005

Automatic Manual


This is "Automatic Manual" I once told my little friend in my little band that I wanted to try and manual* across the Golden Gate Bridge. He said it was impossible to do. My retort was that if I had enough speed (possibly towed by a car) and if I had a good sized skateboard, with REALLY good bearings, and like Bones 66 wheels, then it would certainly be possible. Wind and the natural arch of the bridge are factors too, of course. I would have to be going with the wind, and would need to account for the curveature/physics of the slope of the bridge. Many, many things to consider. I really want to try it someday, preferably before my old man back and knees are completely shot -- they are getting bad, I can feel it. So this would have to be done within the next couple of years.
At any rate, this piece here (part of the striped board series) has really nothing to do with actually "manualing" the GG bridge. Rather, when I was creating this piece, I was laughing to myself about how my little friend said that my stunt would be impossible -- sure, I'm old, bald, have freckles, wear glasses, make little money, have bad back, bad knees, flat-footed, bow-legged, etc...but Fuck a duck! I can still pull a goddamn fucking manual, and the day that I can't manual anything is the day that I expire, I mean really EXPIRE. Manuals were my very little claim to fame back in the day. And this stunt would sort of be my final "hurrah". Yeah, I am pathetic, I know. For now I will have to live with this piece, and use it for motivation when the time comes. That is, of course, unless somebody purchases it from me. Any takers?

*A manual is a trick performed on a skateboard wherein the rider jumps up (ollies) to an object and coasts across it on the front or back two wheels of the skateboard. Envision a "wheelie" on a bicycle. Manuals are a very satisfying stunt, they feel effortless when done correctly. They require good timing, balance, and patience. I have performed well over 1,000 manuals since 1989.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Jeez, Joe, I didn't know you were doing all this art. Looks intriguing. Your comments to your own blogs are hilarious. Reminds me of a man punching himself in the balls.
    Let me know when the art gallery opening is or the art sale. I'll bring all my shoes and glasses.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home