Morninghater

Out of the granite and into the green

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Secrets Revealed at City Hall!

Lately, my work has been sending me over to the SF City Hall to check voter party affiliations. Did you know that this information is public knowledge? Well, it is, and it is really easy to obtain. Chances are if you are one of my friends, and have lived in SF within the past 5 years, and were a registered voter, then your party affiliation is listed right there in the Dept. of Elections, and I have looked at it. You are found out! No hiding from me. Well, most of you live in the East Bay anyway, so you are safe. But there are a few of you who have lived in SF, and I looked up the political party which you side with. Don't worry, though, nothing was revealed that I already knew. And to make you feel at ease, they won't allow the public to access your address and telephone number -- that is confidential. Though I'm sure a little prodding and poking would reveal that stuff too. Everything is easy to obtain these days.
So why the hell was I doing this for work? Well, when a case goes to trial a jury is selected (duh!) and all sorts of random people get called in for jury duty. Y'all know the drill, it happens to everyone. At any rate, the prospective jurors are given questionnaires to fill out. In these questionnaires they ask all sorts of questions, but they don't ask what political party you side with. So the attorneys on the case want to know as much about the jurors as possible, and both parties (defense, and plaintiff) want to know this stuff really badly. However, there is only so much you can tell from a questionnaire -- some of these things are filled out falsely too. So in the firm where I work I think they've developed a sneaky little trick to determine how the prospective jurors might sway in a case, and that is by checking their political party affiliation. I have no idea if the attorneys on the opposite side do this, but we do here, and they make it out like it is some sort of little secret trick that nobody should know. In reality this shit is very easy to get, just go down to the city hall, dept. of elections, and tell them you want to check registered voter party affiliations. They'll set you up on this little computer and have you key in the names, and voila! In no time you have yr best or worst friend's political affiliation. I typed in my sister's name and her party affiliation popped up, and she moved from SF about 6 years ago! I guess this is really no big deal, but it just seems funny to me that this is public knowledge. Everyone always keeps these things secret, nobody goes around proclaiming they are a Republican or a Democrat, or Non-Partisan, Or Green Party. It always seemed to me that asking somebody what their political affiliation is would be like asking somebody if they were gay, bi, or straight. It is only a matter of time before we have our entire lives splayed out for the world to see. But some people may want this. With all of the cell phone use and reality-based TV action these days, people are just begging to be seen. Nothing is sacred anymore, nothing is private. Girls walk around half naked with their ass cracks hanging out, and men flaunt about talking loudly while being way too overly confident. People just need to calm the fuck down, get over themselves FAST! But what am I saying? I just checked out who you may have voted for in this last election. I guess I'm no better than anyone else. Tis true, nothing is sacred. We need the old days back again.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:51 AM , Blogger Lefty said...

    Did you look up the affiliation of anyone famous? Like Sharon Stone or...um...who else is famous and lives in SF?

     
  • At 2:40 PM , Blogger Joe said...

    I didn't look up Sharon Stone, but I looked up mayor Gavin Newsom and he is bi-democrat, whatever that means. I shoulda looked up Woody Harrelson and Sean Penn, they probably aren't even registerd to vote -- spoiled brats.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home