Morninghater

Out of the granite and into the green

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Some things to come

So anyone who has read this blog in the past or knows me is aware that I play drums. That is to say, I am a drummer. Seems strange to say that I am a drummer or any kind musician for that matter, but it is most certainly true; I am a drummer, I love to play drums, I love the feel and energy of playing drums. I think about drumming a lot, but I'm not one of those guys who wears his Zildjian hat and T-shirt and hangs out at the Guitar Center talking shop with the drum department dudes. Nothing against those types of people, but I think I'm just a little more unassuming than that.

Like the other day, here at this stale law firm, one of the annoying paralegals who I fortunately don't have to work with on a regular basis found out that I was a skateboarder. She said something like, "Oh I don't see that". What the fuck? What is there to see, you stupid little brat? I am me, and yes, I'm kinda balding and I wear glasses and I have to tuck in my shirt everyday. Sorry, I don't fit the 'mold' of some pre-determined skater stereotype that you've seen on the X-Games giving an interview and speaking in monosyllables. You see, this is the problem with the people around here; they want everyone to fit into some kind of easy little package so that they can figure them out, have them categorized and remove all unknown parts. The corporate world and the people who inhabit it want conformity. They don't want you to think outside the box, they want you inside the box and easily recognizable, digestible. Don't grow your hair too long, shave regularly, wear yer little slacks, and smile when the big douchebags and snobby rich bitches walk by. So what is my point? Oh yeah, drumming.

I want to continue drumming and I would love to drum again in a band. I will do this in time, maybe not right away, but it will continue. Just as skateboarding will continue in my heart and mind as well. These are a couple of major things in my life that I've had to cut back on since moving to NYC. Change is good, I know this, and I'm trying my hardest to accept it right now. I will not, however, change what I love and what ultimately makes up a large portion of my personality.

So this weekend I'm going to meet up with a band and give the drums another whirl. Not sure how it is going to work out, not even sure if these people will like me, but I'm gonna try it anyway. What the hell do I have to lose? I played in an active band for 6 years! We did more than your average little unknown indie band ever does. I'll report more on this next week, maybe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home