Morninghater

Out of the granite and into the green

Friday, November 17, 2006

Spoiled Brats in the Big Apple

So I ended up getting another job at yet another law firm. But this is no ordinary law firm, or I should say unlike any other law firm I've ever worked at before. You see, this is New York, and in this city they like things all fucked up and ass-backward, i.e. the more difficult and challenging the better off . This firm specializes in corporate law, and when I'm here I don't really feel like I'm actually working for a "law firm" it feels more like some faceless business entity. So far I haven't heard anything uttered from the mouths of attorneys regarding court, judges, depositions, jurors, subpoenas, motions, trials, cases, etc...These are the things I am used to hearing at other firms I've worked for. Oh yeah, and another thing that differentiates this place from the rest is its penchant for hiring bratty, spoiled, conceited recent Ivy League graduates. Spoiled Brats in the Big Apple, if you will.

Damn, I truly hate these little snot nosed shitheads. They are all about the same age (median age is 22), and the majority of them went to some fancy college on the East Coast. "I went to Princeton" said one stupid little blonde brat to her friend. Another might exclaim, "I had soooo much fun at Harvard!" Oh my god, are these people for real?? Well, I went to Sonoma State! So look at you now, you little punk, how does it feel to work near a normal person who went to a regular ol' state university? I really do not know how much longer I can tolerate these brats. I don't even know why I'm working here. I got the job through a friend of a friend, and I really did not want to work at another law firm again. But due to certain unforeseen circumstances I leapt at the job offer and am now surrounded by a bunch of insolent twits.

Every corner I pass, every turn I make, there they are with their $600 pointy boots and flashy hair cuts. They gab away incessantly, gaze into their Blackberries, ready to make their mark, ready to prove that they can make it in New York City. They are so eager and so fake. Talking in circles about what they want to do, what they hope to become. I'd like for them to work in a dingy warehouse for six months with trashy 'real' folks who spit and curse and stomp and scream. I did this right after college; nobody handed me a $50,000/yr job. Ask me for a copy of Alstroemeria #2 for more details regarding my warehouse days. Fuck...fuck them and fuck the parents that spawned these wretched, vapid, insipid fools. I get so angry when I think about how my very talented wife is having such a difficult time finding a job, and these little fuckers graduate from an Ivy League school and are handed a well paying job on a platter. It sickens me to no end.

Hypocrite? YES! Perhaps I am a hypocrite because I actually work here with these people. BUT, there is no way in hell I would end up with this job if it weren't for my past law firm experience. I don't know....I don't even know what is happening anymore. All I can say at this point is avoid this city at all costs. It offers nothing and will give you NOTHING for all the hard work you put into it. There is no payoff here. This is hell each day. A new, vast, never ending hell. An eternal nightmare. No solace. No more quiet places. A constant rotation of anger, rage, sadness, and desperation. From the corporate lacky all the way down to the poor immigrant on the street trying desperately to hand you some flyer you don't want. It is grey, dark and cold. So inhuman that the people who inhabit it are just machines, just machines programmed to eat, sleep, shit, and work, work, work...

1 Comments:

  • At 3:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This is one the things that bothered/bothers me about the East Coast: the heavy, heavy emphasis on education, family, job, material possessions, and status. I think it is so woven into the culture that people are unaware of it. On the flip side, going from NJ to CA as I did, I sometimes get disappointed in CA too because of its LACK of emphasis on education, status, etc. The east is too heavy on these things and the west too soft. I think one thing you will find too is that there are these people all over the world who are very caught up in where they went to school, how much $ they make, where they shop, etc. It's a superficial way of existing but very compelling for many people, unfortunately.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home