Morninghater

Out of the granite and into the green

Friday, November 10, 2006

Pass Slapping

Lately I've been into 'Pass Slapping' a term I made up for when you are walking through an intersection and suddenly a car pulls up to stop, but then doesn't and almost runs into you. You in turn slap or kick any part of the vehicle as it selfishly passes by.

In doing this I have thus far not gotten into a fight. I keep expecting to, and am always ready, but these people don't even stop after I've hit their car. I'm not talking about a light swat or an innocuous kick, I talking full on hard slaps (even punches sometimes) preferably on the rear windshield, or forceful kicks into the back end--enough to make a nice little dent : )

I know these drivers do not stop like they are supposed to because most New Yorkers are selfish, stupid, ignorant, careless assholes. But I also believe the reason they don't stop, even after I've hit their cars, is because they feel guilty. It is as if they know they deserve what happened. I think it takes something dramatic like that to make them reflect, to let them know that they are not the only people on the streets. I keep expecting somebody to react, stop, get out of the car, something, anything! But nothing really ever happens after a pass slap--the vehicle might slow down a bit, maybe to make sure they didn't run me over, and I know they see me standing there, but they continue on, apparently ashamed of what they've done.

I don't care what anyone says; these cars that do not stop for pedestrians are always at fault, no matter what, there is absolutely no doubt about it. When you own a car and drive it frequently you take on a huge responsibility. I think a lot of people, especially these East Coasters out here have lost sight of that. Their impestuous ways can equal an irreversible tragedy. Maybe they don't care, perhaps nobody cares anymore.

So I look at myself; what have I become? I've never been this aggressive before in my life. I'm just a skinny, balding, glasses wearing white guy trying to live each day in this place. It is so hard sometimes, so hard. I'm not a fighter, I'm not a tough talkin', tearin' shit up kind of guy. Most people just walk right by me, as I do them. This city is out of control and I will not allow it to tear me or my wife apart. I'm trying to make a stand, I'm standing up for myself for once in my life. And if that means slapping and punching and kicking cars for not behaving correctly, so be it. I know I am not a physically strong person, but I'm still a fucking PERSON. You stupid fucking New Yorkers.

As I write this my hand hurts, my knuckles are bloody and sore from punching a van's rear window this morning. I know, I should have just pass slapped it, but my vehemence was at an all time high and I just couldn't stop myself from connecting a nice solid punch to the big shiny window. I thought maybe I cracked it, but alas, no. The van actually slowed down for a minute, I thought the driver would get out, but nothing. It speedily took off into the musky air of morning. I went to work feeling a little empowered, but also very beaten down and disappointed with this place.

3 Comments:

  • At 7:36 PM , Blogger factory_peasant said...

    proper tool for the job my friend. you see, you have injured yourself. your hand is not a hammer. a short length of steel 1 inch diameter pipe will send a much more effective message to these reckless New Yorkers and their vehicles than your appendage will. i think you are fighting the good fight and you will prevail. stay strong and whatever you do, don't join the navy.

     
  • At 10:13 AM , Blogger Hal Jalikakic said...

    Vic, the same blood truly runs through our veins! Good shit...I think in the end New York is going to be good for your creativity!

     
  • At 12:19 PM , Blogger .. said...

    joe you need to introduce some of that Reginald Denny shit to NY.

    http://app.onlinequickblog.com/images/8101-7816/joegoesape.JPG

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home