Morninghater

Out of the granite and into the green

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The Magic Magician

Another day on the subway. Another 30 minute rumble on out to Forest Hills. This time listening to music with eyes closed. At around the Roosevelt stop I glance up and see a little Hispanic man get on the train toting what appears to be a modified shopping cart of some sort. Draped over the cart is a velvety red blanket with gold trim. I wonder what this guy is up to. He suddenly reaches into his cart and pulls out something that looks like a shoebox. This contraption he's holding has two open ends. He puts his hand through the whole thing showing that it is empty. He shakes it around a bit then taps it with his finger. He reaches in the box and pulls out a live rabbit. Hey, that was pretty good. I guess, once again, but not exactly like before, I've encountered another subway magician.

Unlike the Unmagic Magician, who was an intolerable asshole, this little guy seems rather pleasant and genuine. I like how he is not saying much, actually, he is not speaking at all. He puts his little rabbit away and reaches back into the cart. This time he performs a silly handkerchief trick. Each time he performs a trick he presents it to each side of the train, letting everyone see the outcome. I like the way he goes about his business. He stands in between the doors and does not rudely approach people. If you don't like what he has to offer you don't have to pay attention. But I was actually watching this guy because there was something kind of endearing about his whole act. Once again my stop is approaching and the Magic Magician appears to have one last trick in his cart of magic. He pulls out another handkerchief, this time wielding it around in the air. He snaps the handkerchief over his empty left hand and suddenly a small white bird appears there. Could've been a dove for all I know. He bows to the train audience and reveals a little sign that reads "Thank you". This guy was great and when he humbly walks around to collect money I give him all the change in my pockets. My stop approaches and I lift myself out of my seat to exit. I look around to see where the little man has gone. He is nowhere to be seen. Damn, real magic.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:30 PM , Blogger factory_peasant said...

    your writing continues to place me right in whatever situation or locale you happen to be in. very descriptive. i dig it.

    to be quite honest after reading your NYC posts i am convinced it's a place that should be avoided. it sounds depressing, filthy, expensive, and dangerous. why anyone would want to live there makes no sense to me. but i guess quality of life is all relative and the residents of NYC must enjoy living with such low standards. whatever.

    good on you, sir.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home