Morninghater

Out of the granite and into the green

Monday, January 08, 2007

Gassed out

This morning while riding the subway, half asleep, I entered Manhattan, and at around 42nd St. I smelled gas, not human gas, but city gas, like fuel or butane leaking out somewhere. It seemed strange at the time, but I quickly dismissed it and continued on with my zombie like commute through a sea of people and the crumbling cityscape. When I got to work I logged onto my computer and started reading the news. The top local story was about the strange gas smell I had just experienced. Intrigued, I read on to discover that nobody knew exactly what it was or where it was coming from; city officials and air quality control scientists could not figure it out. Nobody knew what was causing this mysterious gas.

But I knew, sure enough, that NYC had just let out a giant fart. Yes. This disgusting city with its overly populated streets, myriad subterranean tunnels, un-countable buildings, and millions of people shitting and pissing all over the place finally had enough of everyone else's gas and let out its own nice big smelly one. In a city this size you can't expect this to not happen sometimes. This place just has to release some pressure every now and then.

Today I experienced that. Call off the emergency, call off the National Guard, don't send in supplies, there are no terrorists, we'll be alright, just cover your noses and let the city slip out a few 'silent but violents'. It was bound to happen sometime.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    millions of people shitting and pissing everywhere

    great line. some kinda Brueghelian hell, eh?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home