Morninghater

Out of the granite and into the green

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

The Bulb in Danger?




I went to the bulb yesterday and saw a few interesting developments. First, I noticed three big, industrial waste-sized canisters at the entrance to the bulb. On one of them the following was scrawled: "No removal of art" so this scared me right away and I instantly thought that maybe the city was preparing to remove all of the art from the bulb. I peered into one of the canisters and there wasn't much in it, at least I didn't see any recognizable "bulb art". Then I strolled along the same path that I always take; up and down whoopty-do's on a very narrow and rocky trail. As I moved along I noticed that some of the trail had been cleared away. This must've been why the large canisters were at the entrance; to put the trail clippings in. It seemed odd, these big, wide paths now clear where before they were very small and flanked by large fennel plants. I walked over to the thunderdome area and saw that it was completely untouched, which was good. All of the art and debris that was there before remained. Except, I noticed that once again somebody had removed my striped drumhead from the old tire - who the hell would bother doing this? But I didn't care too much and smiled to myself and hoped that whomever had it enjoyed it. I went down to the bulb's edge, where most of the SNIFF art resides. The art was still there and intact, aside from the natural degradation of the work due to bulb elements. I walked through the big, orange foam arches and out toward the weird little shack the someone had built right along the bulb's rocky shoreline. I noticed a sign on there that stated, "Can you Preserve? Can you Contribute?" Fuck yes I can! So I proceeded to put up a piece called "Late Night Stripes". Hopefully this piece will remain here for a long while. I kind of like how it marks the horizon a bit.
I exited the bulb feeling pretty good, but not without a nagging notion that something is happening out there, something not good. I think that the city has plans for the area, and the trail widening is possibly just the beginning. Maybe they want to dig in deeper and start removing the art? Maybe they want to finally "clean up" the bulb to make if safer for all of the antispetisized families who venture out there more and more frequently? I only hope that these people who visit the bulb realize that it is a wild place, and that it cannot be changed. I truly hope that they are not the ones complaining to the city, telling them to clean up the bulb and make it safer. It is really not a "safe" place, but it can be as safe as you want it to be - you just need common sense while scrambling around out there.
Keep the bulb alive, keep the bulb wild!

2 Comments:

  • At 9:56 AM , Blogger Lefty said...

    I'd be distraught if they tore apart the Bulb. It's not possible; it's a goddman landfill! You can't return a mass of debris to nature, because it's not natural in the first place. We need the Bulb to remind us not wreck the world, but also to remind us that even if you do wreck the world, the scruffy aspects of nature will have their way in the end.

     
  • At 10:06 AM , Blogger Freewendy said...

    Do you know if it's possible to rent or buy that movie they made about the bulb? They were playing it at the Red Vic last year, but I couldn't go and I've been dying to see it ever since.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home