Morninghater

Out of the granite and into the green

Thursday, January 20, 2005

Spastic Sleep

Sometimes I have spastic sleep, yes, spastic sleep. I really don't know what causes it, but there have been times where I've been peacefully sleeping, when suddenly I start flailing around in my bed as if I'm trapped in Cube 2 'Hyper Cube'. Just the other night my spastic actions came about in a fury of arms thrashing and body convulsing. I rarely know that I am doing it, mostly because I am very very much in a deep sleep, and can only recall fragments of my actions upon awakening. One time I accidentally elbowed my ex-girlfriend in the eye while under a bad spell of spastic sleeping. I was dreaming that somebody was trying to grab me, and I guess my subconscious self aligned with my physical self for a short moment, and caused me to lash out in fear and hit poor ol' Raychassles. Man, I really felt badly about that, and of course I didn't mean it, of course not! I would never hit anyone, unless it was justified, and I was defending myself for some reason. I tried to explain to her that it was an accident, I mean, truly an accident, but she was kind of a bitchy person anyway, and told me not to have those sort of dreams anymore. Er...OK...I'll try not to have those kinds of dreams anymore, I told her. That was a loooong time ago, and I've erased the "Ray" years from my mind.
These days my sleeping patterns have been alright, that is, until the other night. My fiance', Sarak, tried to wake me up after my spasm. I did groggily come to my senses, and luckily nobody was injured during the fit. She told me that I was really thrashing around, and convulsing a bit too. The first thing I thought of was the scene in the Excorcist, where the doctors first come to see Reagen as she was flopping up and down in her bed, rising in-humanly, and resembling a fish desperate to get back in the water. Maybe it was not that bad, but I did recall having some sort of troubled dream, where again, somebody was trying to attack me. It's incredible how dreams can combine with the physical self and compel people to actually 'do things', i.e. sleep walking, sleep waking, talking, yelling, etc...I've even heard stories of people who have actually made full meals and eaten them while being asleep the entire time. One time, while visiting my parents after being in college for a couple of years, I was sleeping in my old bedroom, and at one point I got up to go to the bathroom - no big deal, 'cause I normally do that - but when I woke in the morning I was laying on the couch in the living room. I had no idea how I got there, I wasn't drunk or anything. Sometimes in the morning, when the alarm goes off (it's set to NPR, so I wake to the sounds of early morning news), my weird, short dreams in that space seem to revolve around what they are talking about on the radio. It is really strange when that happens, but I kind of like it too. It's as if the sounds of the news are infiltrating my dreams, and there in my head a very strange and surreal story is unfolding - part me and part real world stuff.
The singer in the awesome, mid-'90s band Hum once said, "Sleep comes to everyone, while we wait for the Sunday afternoons." My Sunday afternoon is every morning, and my every morning returns all the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home