Morninghater

Out of the granite and into the green

Thursday, January 06, 2005

Bridge Over Murky Waters

So I drive over this bridge every Wednesday night at about 11:30. The bridge has been in a perpetual state repair for the past 4 years, they call it "earthquake retro-fitting", but I call it a bunch of bullshit. Men in orange vests smoke cigarettes and seemingly just hang out all around the edge of the bridge. Do these guys ever actually work? Huge cranes swing like giant pendulums above the slow moving stream of cars. I've never seen these cranes in action, but I suppose they do more than just threateningly loom above. I get so sick of driving over this bridge, and driving very slow to boot. Where I come from they don't have bridges like they do out here, and when I first moved here I was excited to cross over the majestic, long, and sturdy bridges of the bay. Now it seems more a nuisance than anything. The joy of traversing a man-made marvel has slowly eroded as I find myself once a week traveling slowly across a big, grey, metal trap. By the time I get home it is very late, and all I want to do is go to sleep, sometimes even forgetting to brush my teeth. I blame it on the bridge work that never ends, and never will. I blame it on the ochre colored bay waters, which hides lord knows what beneath the impenetrable surface. And I also blame it on myself, for choosing to do this, and putting myself in the same situation over and over and over again.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:51 AM , Blogger Lefty said...

    Tonight I will drive over this bridge, this dark and rusty bridge over frigid and filthy waters. I grew up in a town with at least four bridges, not huge ones but substantial ones anyway. I think that our bridges are in a constant state of painful rebirth and congestion only confirms what a messed-up place California can be. Maybe someday we will move to a place with big, bold, liberating bridges that are not covered in an exoskeleton of retrofitting.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home