Morninghater

Out of the granite and into the green

Friday, March 23, 2007

So that's that

Hmmmm, so we are done. I mean no more 8917 69th Rd. Forest Hells, NY 11375. Interesting. When I usually leave a place I feel something, but leaving here I don't really feel anything. Good I guess. I didn't really want to feel anything other than relief. And at approx. 11:00 am this morning, I got a call from Sara saying that we indeed did get back a percentage of our deposit, which is good, but I honestly thought we were not getting anything.

It just seems weird not to have to make that long walk back out to the far reaches of Queens anymore. After today there is nothing there anymore; just an empty shell of an old, decaying, overpriced, tiny apartment situated above some of the most annoying neighbors we've had in a while. Worse than the old hippies who lived above us in Albany, way worse. I'll take hippies any day over sullen scallywags who get up to smoke at 8:00 every morning. Fucking sick shit.

Just like that its over, its over, its over, its over....wow, IT IS OVER! We kind of came full circle, really, 'cause now we are back in Astoria, the same place we were during or transitory period in between finding a place in Forest Hills. Kelly, our gracious host, has put us up again for a short time--a real short time this time 'round. After tonight we'll hit the road and then we'll be truly gone from NYC. The place will just recede into the background and it will remain, always, even though I think the entire city is in serious need of an overhaul. But hey, this place is gonna be here no matter what, and nothing I've done here will be of any consequence to anyone; no marks left behind, no one better or worse from my presence here. No amount of pass slapping cars, yelling at neighbors, writing in blogs, working at law firms, walking streets, breathing cold air, playing in parks, going on hikes, and drinking expensive beer will be of any substantial meaning to anybody. I was here, we were here, we lived here, we existed here. Like some film reel spilling out images in reverse all over a floor, there we lay, Sara and I, and little snapshots of our time here; little snippets of this surreal life that we've endured while in NYC.

All of these buildings here, all of these mad people, all of this superficiality will rise and fall, but we'll be far, yes, far gone and away from here. Like a dream, this place never existed. Can you remember it now? I can't, I just can't.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:51 PM , Blogger Forest Hills 72 said...

    69th and Metropolitan is no place for a guy like you. That's a depressing part of town - now I know why you bash the area so much. Wish you would have checked out Ascan/Austin. I think you would have been a lot happier. Safe trip back.

     
  • At 4:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Scalliwags and carpetbaggers and rapscallions and philistines and cretins.
    Would write more but am off to eat oxtail soup.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home