Morninghater

Out of the granite and into the green

Monday, March 27, 2006

Time With Rabbit

This past Saturday I ventured out once again to the Albany bulb. I hadn't been out there in a while, and I was curious to see what has been happening lately. This random visit to the bulb proved to be one of the more interesting trips I've taken out there, for I had met, sat down, and spoke with the elusive Robert "Rabbit" Barringer, star of the wonderful 2003 documentary Bums' Paradise.

After seeing Bums' Paradise a couple of years ago, I would go out to the bulb and look around for the encampments that were there during the filming. All of the large structures had been removed in the late '90s by the Albany police, but there were still little hidden camps, mainly consisting of a tent and a few personal affects. Not really knowing that I would actually see or speak to any of these people, I would sometimes call out the name "Rabbit". Of course, I was referring to the narrator and star of the film. Basing my knowledge of the film, and what had happened to the bulb residents in the end, I never expected Rabbit or any of the dudes from the film to still be out there. But this time, this random Saturday, my calls of Rabbit yielded the actual person. I met the man, the "Mayor of the bulb", if you will.

I was just walking around out on the Western edge of the bulb and enjoying the effects of the sun rays shooting out from behind distant clouds. Out of sheer habit, I called the name Rabbit. I didn't even realize I had said it, it is just something I do sometimes, almost like a turret's attack. As luck would have it, I started walking back down the path and a voice called out, "Hey!" I turned around and saw a man standing there, it wasn't Rabbit, but the guy said, "Are you looking for Rabbit?" Dumbfounded, I shyly replied, "Er...yeah, I guess". I never thought in a million years that anyone living out here would ever hear me, lest pay any attention to my aimless bulb wandering and schizo mumblings. The man said, "Okay, follow me, I'll take you to his camp." What the fuck? Rabbit still lives out here, and this guy, who introduced himself as Jessie, was going to take me to the legendary bulb leader? I was a little nervous.

We made our way through a thicket of overgrown thorn and fennel bushes. There in a small cleared out spot away from any of the trails was a little campsite. Jessie hollered out, "Hey bonehead, you in there?" There was some rustling around inside a tent, and a few seconds later a sleepy, just awakened Rabbit emerged. He looked pretty much like he did in the film, but that being a few years ago, and his transient lifestyle, Rabbit looked a bit haggard. His hair was a little longer and his face a little more wrinkled. But he sat right up and smiled and extended his hand for me to shake. I shook it without hesitation as he offered me a seat. I sat and smiled back at Rabbit. I told him right away that I was a big fan of the film, and thought that he did a great job as narrator and subject. He was very genuine and soft spoken, just like he was in the film. He seemed genuinely pleased that I was speaking to him and asking him all sorts of questions about the bulb and the film. I pulled out a pack of American Spirit Lights and he, Jessie, and I sat back and smoked. I listened to the two of them tell tales about the current bulb inhabitants (approx 8 camps are set up now, as opposed to about 50 when the film was made). They also talked about all of the sneaky little critters that run around at night trying to steal their food. It was surreal, to say the least. I couldn't believe that I was sitting here smoking and talking to Rabbit.

It was getting kind of late and the off shore cold breeze was biting through my thin jacket. The wind didn't really seem to affect Rabbit and Jessie. I suppose it is due to their resilient nature, and years of roughing it in the wild; a little cold wind is not going to make these guys go running for shelter. But I am not as tough as them, so I said my goodbyes and told Rabbit that I come out to the bulb on a regular basis, and that maybe if I saw him we could speak some more next time. He likes to read, even trashy stuff he said, so maybe next time I venture out there I'll bring him some books. I wrote in this blog a few months ago about how I thought the bulb was becoming too domesticated and not wild anymore. Looks like I was wrong, and I'm glad for it. Like Rabbit told me, "People have no idea what we are doing out here, how much fun we are having. If they knew we were having this much fun living out here, they'd come and kick us out for good." Words to live by, for now.

3 Comments:

  • At 3:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Interesting story. It is as if the Bulb "residents" are a different species of man, not quite domesticated/surbanized/urbanized like the rest. I'll have to try and see the documentary. Also, for "turret's attack" I think you mean "Tourette's", a disorder named after a person. Uncontrollable as opposed to controllable schizoid attacks.
    Do you remember a band from the 1990s music scene, LSD (Life Sex Death) and their 1 hit wonder song, "Tank"? The frontman was a homeless guy who would bring pungent homeless friends to the big record company they were on; I thought that was funny.

     
  • At 4:48 PM , Blogger Joe said...

    MP, oh yes, yes... that was supposed to be Tourette's not "turret's".
    And yes, my schizoid attacks are relatively controllable, as opposed to
    just freaking out without any warning. Speaking of, I did see the
    Chumscrubber the other night. I enjoyed watching it, but Sara hated it. Does
    Glenn Close have the one schizo attack at the front door? The one you were
    talking about when she opens her mouth real wide, as if to scream, but is
    very quiet about it? I liked it. Good schizo attack. I just had one in the
    elevator after my break. Felt good. Good on th' bun.

     
  • At 11:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yeah, I can understand someone not liking The Chumbscrubber, it was a little over the top, but I liked its sensibility, its vibe, and how Ralph Fiennes walks into the pool with his clothes on. And the Glenn Close silent schizoid attack was awesome, freakin' awesome. We just watched a horror film from '81 I grew up with, Humongous, about a mutant on an island who eats dogs and lost boaters. I remember being scared of the film as a lad, but now it's just amazing how bad the film is and how much T & A they squeezed in. It's actually got some early '80s sexiness to it, blueberry-stained breasts and a female Urkel. Seen it? There's also a guy with an awesome mullet (before mullets became postmodern) who spends the movie smoking weed, drinking Bud, and pointing a rifle at people. whoops, gotta go...think I just crapped my pants.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home