Morninghater

Out of the granite and into the green

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Suppose we never met

Had some crazy dreams the other night. In one of them I dreamt that I was back in college, circa 1995, and I had the knowledge that I have now. But I was sad because I didn't have Sara there with me, and I knew she was out there somewhere, probably in Ohio, and I knew it would be a very long time before we met, if we even met at all. I was thinking that every little move I made, every step I took, and every person I met from that point would eventually lead me to her. And every decision that she made from that point would lead her to me. It is all too crazy, too delicate to mess with; this strange path of time that we live and follow in. What if I went to a different school? What if I had different friends, made different choices? I would certainly not be where I am now. I like where I am now, and the only reason I got here was because I made these inherent choices--I was carefully plotting out my life and didn't even know it!
I suppose this can be said about a great many thing in everyone's life. I mean, who the hell knows where they're going to end up in 20 years? Maybe some people out there knew where they were going to be, I can only think of one ambitious friend of mine, but really, what’s the fun it that? Knowing exactly where life will lead you?? I'm not a person who is obsessed with destiny and fate, but I can't ignore the fact that the smallest of choices and steps that you make will eventually lead you into a good, bad, or indifferent future.
I know I have not made the most perfect choices (who does, except for this one little feller I know who thinks he always makes the perfect choices) but I do know that I'm here now, relatively healthy, still somewhat young, and married to the person whom I plan to spend the rest of my life with. Sounds corny, yeah, but I like it and I love Sara. A life without her would have been a bad future. Small decisions sometimes lead to bigger events.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:51 AM , Blogger .. said...

    you're gay. just kidding. Good post Joe. I've had dreams like that before. It's disconcerting.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home